I've already blogged about Python 3 and Minecraft, but there are some subtle things which I glossed over in that post. I found when following my own notes that some of the steps are easy to skim over. I could explain a bit better what is going on, and why I was seeing weird errors when I resurrected my environment to work on an experiment with my kids.
Hallow-e'en celebrations are becoming more, and more popular for Australia's youth these days, and it's ticking off a few people here.
But I actually don't think it's all that bad, and might even be good. Here is why.
After yesterday's rant, I took some time today to step back and take stock on what I've got. It's pretty awesome.
The old Chinese curse: may you live in interesting times seems to have struck us. I haven't written in a while, sorry. I guess this year's been a bit of a downer, with all the horrible things going on in the world.
UPDATE 2020-04-16 This is not how you should do it
These instructions and tools are great if you're going to use Python 2 and Virtualenv. But Python 2 is dead, and there are better ways to do this in Python 3. I'm still exploring the best ways, but I am leaning towards using pyenv + pyenv-virtualenv (or python venvs, or maybe pipenv?). Pyenv takes inspiration from rbenv which is how Ruby does this, so if you know Ruby then you'll understand it. When I understand better, I'll write another blog post
A while ago I noted that I should write about my shell functions for creating and managing Python Virtual Environments. Recently I was helping my boss set up some python virtual environments for some different projects, and I couldn't remember how to use virtualenv directly.
I really wanted to just share my wrappers with him, and I found that they weren't quite ready to share because I hadn't finished documenting them.
This post is to remedy that.
I've been using pass for a while now and I really like it. But I don't like putting passwords or passphrases into my system clipboard if I can help it: writing code to sniff the clipboard is child's play, so I'd like to avoid that attack vector if possible.
One place that I thought would be simple would be the SSH utility to add keys to your SSH Agent:
ssh-add. It should be possible to do something like this:
$ pass github/sinewalker|head -1|ssh-add github/sinewalker
Unfortunately this isn't so:
ssh-add doesn't accept your passphrase from STDIN when piped like this.
But, there is a way to do it.
Imagine if they hadn't overlooked it:
Every rose has its prickle
Just like every night, we gotta trickle
Just like every cowboy has a soft place to tickle
Every rose has its prickle.
Tonight I finally converted all the Glossary pages in my mirror of the Jargon File into Unicode (utf-8 encoding) so that they will transmit and display properly from GitHub Pages (or any other modern web server). It was a fairly trivial thing to do in the end, but I am likely to need to repeat this for other things at work, so I'm blogging it.
The Jargon File was converted into XML-Dockbook and Unicode for version 4.4.0, but ESR only converted the front- and back-matter, not the Glossary entries (i.e. the actual lexicon). Those are still latin-1 (ISO-8859-1). And although the HTML rendition begins with the correct header declaring this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="no"?>
I've been having good natured arguments at work about whether it's the End of the World that we are at last switching away from Scientific Linux 6 and it's System V style init scripts, to CentOS 7, which uses systemd.
My own opinion is that systemd is pretty cuspy. It's not perfect, but nor is it some great hulking monolithic monster come to destroy the Unix Way in the Linux world. It offers many worthwhile improvements and I've enjoyed using it in openSUSE for years now. I look forward to switching away from the hair-ball of wet SysV init scripts with clumsy precedent semantics and manual service recovery.
Now, I don't want to throw my hat into the ring on the pro's and con's of systemd having replaced the start-up infrastructure (and a lot of other systems besides) on Linux-based operating systems. Enough has been said already on that front, by many more experienced than I, and further argument is pointless: whichever camp you're in, you won't be convinced of the other sides point of view by now.
However there is one argument against systemd that I'm not so sure about: journald and it's past issues:
- alleged buffering of logs, making diagnostics and debugging on time-critical services difficult or impossible
- binary log files which can be corrupted, and then not useful thereafter (because they're binary)
- volatile storage, so that your logs are gone when you want them the most: after an unplanned reboot
I'll be spending a few days experimenting with
journald in these areas, to see if it's as bad now as it was five years ago when concerns like these were being raised.
In this post I want to look at the
journald daemon /
journalctl log viewer a bit, from the point of view of buffering output, whether and where it could be occurring, and what the implications might be as a web sysop.
This is a medium-long post, with about 23 minutes of terminal output recordings (in text, using asciinema) and is about 2⅓MB to download. It's also about half-an-hour's read on top of that.
The final part of the password puzzle is getting my passwords into my pocket. There are quite a few images in this post (about 2MB) as I describe setting up the system on Android, which involves a lot of steps, with screen-shots.
Hold onto your hat, it's a bit of a fiddle.